This section is specifically for practitioners who work with children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities. It contains information about training opportunities and developments and templates/forms relating to the Education, Health and Care Plan Process.
SEND in the Early Help Process 2018
SEND support is embedded within the Early Help process. The Early Help Assessment form will be essential for:
- SENCOs following the 'Graduated Response' outlined in the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Code of Practice (DfE 2015).
- Recording evidence of high quality teaching and SEN support in schools and settings using the information and advice set out in Bands 1 and 2 of the Cumbria SEND Handbook.
When an additional need is identified for a child or young person, whether social, emotional, developmental or educational, an Early Help Assessment form can be started to gather information. The emphasis is on assessing all aspects of a child or young person's strengths, needs and circumstances, developing a plan to meet identified needs and reviewing progress systematically.
If, following the assess-plan-do-review process, the setting required support from the Learning Improvement Service or the Inclusion Service, eg: early years area SENCO, specialist advisory teacher or educational psychologist to meet the needs of the child or young person then the following should be undertaken:
- Fully complete the EHA form
- Decide on one service to request
- Gain written parent/carer consent
- Send the assessment form to the local SEND office with supporting evidence.
- Register the assessment with the Early Help Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that if you wish to refer to Health then you will need to access the relevant Health referral documentation: https://search3.openobjects.com/mediamanager/cumbria/fsd/files/child_physical_health_request_assessment_form.doc
To download documents and for further information, please view Cumbria's LSCB website: http://cumbrialscb.com/LSCB/earlyhelp.asp