SEND support is embedded within the Early Help process. The Early Help Assessment form will be essential for:
- SENCOs following the Graduated Response outlined in the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Code of Practice.
- Recording evidence of high quality teaching and SEN support in schools and settings using the information and advice set out in Bands 1 and 2 of the Cumbria SEND Handbook.
When an additional need is identified for a child or young person, whether social, emotional, developmental or educational, an Early Help Assessment form can be started to gather information. The emphasis is on assessing all aspects of a child or young person's strengths, needs and circumstances, developing a plan to meet identified needs and reviewing progress systematically.
If, following the assess-plan-do-review process, the setting required support from the Learning Improvement Service or the Inclusion Service, eg: early years area SENCO, specialist advisory teacher or educational psychologist to meet the needs of the child or young person then the following should be undertaken:
- Fully complete the EHA form
- Decide on one service to request
- Gain written parent/carer consent
- Send the assessment form to the local SEND office with supporting evidence.
- Register the assessment with the Early Help Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org
To download documents and for further information, please view Cumbria's CSCP website.