Skip to main content

Transition Workers and Preparing for Adulthood

<< Go Back

What is preparing for adulthood?

Helping you get ready for the future and being as independent as you can be.

What will this mean for me?

This can be confusing and difficult as well as exciting and fun. Sources of support could be:

  • Looking at what groups there are in your local area that may be able to help you
  • Thinking about specialist support that the Council can offer to help you become more independent
  • A Care Act assessment by a Transition Worker which means looking at what you are good at, what you need help with such as
    • Money
    • Relationships
    • Transport
    • Independent Living
    • Employment
    • Keeping Safe

When will this happen?

This can start when you are 14 but it has to be at a time when this is right for you.

It is important to start as early as possible, so you have lots of time to think about what is important to you and what your ideas and options are.

Am I involved in making decisions about my life?

Yes, as much as you can be and make the choices you are able to.

Who will help me?

Whatever help is needed will be different for different people, but help is available for each type of change you need help with:

  • Health – your Doctor or Nurse
  • Education – your Teacher, your Education, Health & Care Plan Keyworker or Inspira
  • Social Care – your Social Worker or Transition Worker

How can I get help from a Transition Worker?

Contact your local adult social care office to ask to speak with the local Transition Worker about a question and/or make a transition referral.  A referral is letting the council know you would like support and what help you think would help you.

Allerdale and Copeland: 0300 303 3589              

Carlisle and Eden: 0300 303 3249            

Furness and South Lakes: 0300 303 2704

<< Go Back

Back to top