The unexpected death of a pupil, member of staff or a close relative of a student is a terrible time for everyone. School can become a very important “safe place” for everyone involved. The following provides advice and resources as to the best way to manage these traumatic and distressing times.
By clicking on the 'related advice' tabs on the right you will find advice, links and useful information.
- Over 24,000 children are bereaved of a parent each year in Britian.
- Approximately two children under 16 are bereaved of a parent every hour of every day in the UK.
- Approximately one in 25 children and young people have experienced bereavement of a parent or sibling.
- 6% of 5 to 16 year-olds have experienced the death of a close friend of the family; this equates to 537,450 children in the UK.
- The incidence of childhood bereavement in youth offenders can be up to ten times higher (41%) than the national average (4%).