Skip to main content


Introduced many changes to support young people in Education with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).  In England, Statements of Special Educational Needs and Learning Difficulty Assessments have now been replaced by Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plans.

In Cumbria, there is the Early Help Assessment process to support all children with additional needs.  If you have any concerns about your child's development, talk to the educational setting (early years setting, school or further education provider) in the first instance.  Your child/young person's SENCO will be able to help with any questions you may have.

You will be able to find more information on how educational settings support children and young people with SEND in the Local Offer description for each educational setting, and from the School's SEN Information Report.  You can also find further information in our SEND Criterial and Handbook.

This page provides information on transport matters for children and young people with special educational needs.  This includes information from education, health and care.

There may be a number of reasons why it is difficult to get your child to appointments, nursery, school or college because of special educational needs, disability or medical conditions.

The Home to School Policy makes reference to statements of special educational need.  At this point, please be aware the same information will be relevant to those children and young people with Education, Health and Care Plans. Our policy is located  below.

Please contact our Commissioning Transport Team with any questions or queries you may have on: 01228 226427/226428/226430.

Link to: School Transport Policies
Back to top