Skip to main content

Kirkbampton CE School 

Kirkbampton is a Voluntary Controlled Church of England primary school catering for children between the ages of 3 and 11 years. The school was originally built in 1965, but has been extended and modernized over the years to provide well-proportioned teaching areas with ICT facilities, administration areas and staff accommodation. Providing a pleasant, comfortable and stimulating environment for the children to work and play is essential.

An outdoor “Adventure Area” with an “all weather” surface and new playground markings encourage pupils to extend their skills at playtimes and after school. Our school hall is used as a dining room, a meeting place for morning worship and parents’ assemblies and an extra teaching space for various activities including Music, Drama, Cookery and Art & Craft. Meals are prepared on site in a well-equipped kitchen. 

The school is a well maintained building situated on the eastern fringe of Kirkbampton village, 5 miles west of Carlisle, enjoying a large, open site consisting of grass and hard-surfaced playground and an Adventure Area used by the local community. The school is easily reached by road and, although it serves a wide rural catchment area, many children travel to school from further afield. Kirkbampton Village Hall is adjacent to the school, accessible by a footpath and gate from the playground. We use the Village Hall for PE, Games, Dance, Drama and many other activities each week.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Mrs Andrea Armstrong
Contact Position
01228 576377 
Kirkbampton CofE School

Where to go

Kirkbampton CE School

Local Offer


We aim to identify children who have additional learning needs or physical difficulties as early as possible in order to provide the correct targeted help and support. Children are supported either within the classroom as part of the school curriculum or are withdrawn to receive support either individually or as part of a small group. Regular consultation between teachers and parents ensures that each child receives the correct level and type of support to achieve the agreed learning targets. Extra advice and support is available from the Cumbria Children's Services - Early Help and Learning. Please see Kirkbampton School Offer on our website.

Contact Name
Mrs A Armstrong (SENCo)
Contact Telephone
01228 576377
Contact Email
SEND Policies
Local Offer Age Bands
Primary (5-10 years)
Early Years (0-4 years)

Schools Extended Local Offer Response

How does the setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

We have close relationships with parents, feeder nurseries and external agencies. All staff are aware of expected attainment and development at different ages and have expertise in identifying additional/ special educational needs (SEN). 
Class teachers are encouraged to raise concerns with the SENCO if, through observation and assessment they note: 

• a pupil is performing significantly below standardised expected levels
• a pupil’s behaviour or self esteem is affecting their learning
• a change in the pupil’s behaviour or progress or
• a parent raises valid concerns about their child’s progress

External agencies may also notify the school of existing additional needs. 
If you have any concerns about your child’s progress you should first talk to your child’s class teacher. 

How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?
  • The class teacher will oversee, plan and work with each child with SEND in their class to ensure that progress in every area is made. This work will be differentiated accordingly to suit the pupil’s  individual needs.
  • Our SENCO will oversee all support and progress of any child requiring additional support in the school.
  • Learning Support Assistants (LSA) deployed in the classroom will support the learning of individuals or groups of children identified as having an additional need.
  • The class teacher and/or SENCO will meet with parents/carers at least once a term to discuss your child’s needs, support and progress. (this will usually be part of Parents’ Evening).
  • The SENCO reports to the Governors every term to inform them about the progress of pupils with SEND; this report does not refer to individual pupils and confidentiality is maintained at all times.The school has a nominated governor for Special Educational Needs (who reports directly to the Governing Body).  
  • When no measurable impact or progress has been made and the your child meets Cumbria Children’s Services criteria for a statutory SEND assessment, the SENCO will, with parents’ consent, make a referral to Cumbria Children’s Services.
How will the curriculum be matched to my child's/young person's needs?

If a child has been identified as having a special need, they will be given an Individual Education Plan (IEP). Targets will be set according to their area of need. These will be monitored by the class teacher weekly and by the SENCO three times per year. IEPs will be discussed with parents and a copy given to them. 

The school will provide: 

  • High quality teaching, differentiated for individual pupils.
  • Appropriate specialist equipment e.g. writing slopes, pen/pencils grips or easy to use scissors.
  • Additional intervention and support if recommended and funded by Cumbria Children’s Services. 
How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?

If a child has been identified as having a special need, they will be given an Individual Education Plan (IEP). Targets will be set according to their area of need. These will be monitored by the class teacher weekly and by the SENCO three times per year. IEPs will be discussed with parents and a copy given to them. 

The school will provide: 

  • High quality teaching, differentiated for individual pupils.
  • Appropriate specialist equipment e.g. writing slopes, pen/pencils grips or easy to use scissors.
  • Additional intervention and support if recommended and funded by Cumbria Children’s Services. 
What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall well being?

In some cases, your child may require an individual support plan or behaviour management plan which will be drawn up in consultation with you and your child and reviewed regularly. For some children with profound and lifelong needs an Education Health and Care Assessment may be requested with advice and support from external agencies.

Where appropriate we signpost parents to relevant agencies within the community who can offer further support to you and your child.

On admission, parents/carers are asked to identify pupils’ additional pastoral, medical and social needs. The school then has overall responsibility for the pastoral, medical and social care of each pupil. If further support is required, this may involve working alongside outside agencies e.g. your GP, the School Nursing Service, Cumbria Social Care.

If a pupil has a medical need then a detailed Health Care Plan will be compiled in consultation with parents/carers. These are discussed with all staff who are involved with the pupil.

As a staff we have regular training and updates of conditions and medication affecting individual pupils so that all staff are able to manage medical situations.

Where necessary, prescription medicines only are administered but only after you have completed and signed a Medication Consent form (obtained from the school office). 

All staff have paediatric first aid training.

We work hard to maintain high pupil attendance and promote positive behaviour management strategies throughout the school. An individual record is kept of any incidents which are: 

  • A barrier to learning
  • Disruptive
  • Persistent
  • Causing injury or upset to others
  • Disrespectful
What specialist services and expertise are avaliable at or accessed by the setting/school/college?
  1. Fully qualified and accredited SENCO. 
  2. Staff bring a wealth of experience and expertise including those trained in: Reading Intervention, SRSP, Paediatric First Aid, Makaton, Behaviour management. 

Referrals can be made to the School Health Service, Cumbria Children’s Services (Educational Psychologist and Children’s Social Care and we work closely with any external agencies which are relevant to the pupil’s needs.

What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had? Are any being trained currently?

Staff share expertise through collaborative training opportunities organised within the school as well as accessing local and national training. Individual staff development needs are identified and met as part of the formal appraisal process.

Staff work closely with James Rennie School to further our professional knowledge of SEND. We liaise  with local secondary schools before and during the transition process. For pupils with additional needs, we encourage and facilitate early contact between parents and their chosen school and ensure that the school is well informed about any special arrangements or support which is needed.

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

Activities and school trips are available to all. 

Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate. 

If 1:1 support is required a member of the school staff will be deployed to support your child.  Parents/carers may be asked to accompany their child during the activity.

How accessible is the setting/school/college enviroment?

Please refer to the School Accessibility Plan.

There are disabled changing and toilet facilities suitable for all ages and level access into school building.

How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?
  • Parents are encouraged to visit the school prior to making admission arrangements.
  • For pupils with SEND, we facilitate phased admission agreed with parents/carers. Additional visits are also arranged for pupils who need extra time in their new school.
  • Home visits (EYFS) from school staff.
  • Visit to current nursery (EYFS)
  • Parents’ Information sessions (EYFS) prior to admission.
  • Secondary school staff visit pupils prior to them joining their new school.
  • Our SENCO liaises with the SENCOs from the secondary schools to pass on information regarding SEN pupils.
  • All pupil records, both electronic and paper, will be sent to the receiving school on request.
How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

We ensure that all pupils’ additional needs are met from the school budget by: 

  • Employing a SENCO and LSA’s to support pupils
  • Providing additional resources and equipment within an agreed budget
  • Modifying areas of the building as appropriate within an agreed budget

Individual funding received currently from an EHCP: 

  • Provides  LSA support
  • Purchases learning materials, specialist equipment and resources
  • To meet the specific requirements as outlined in the EHCP
How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

The decisions about the type of support your child needs will be based on discussions between all educational professionals, external agencies involved and will include you as a parent/carer. 

Parents/carers will be involved from the start and their input will be sought and used to inform the decision making process.

Pupils’ progress is reviewed against their individual targets on a termly basis. If a pupil has not met the set targets after 2 terms and has a standardised score of 85 or less then:

  • the IEP targets will be  reviewed and the specific difficulties clearly identified.
  • further differentiated work, targeted to your child’s needs, will provided by the class teacher and will be monitored by the SENCO.

Individual work will be provided by the class teacher in consultation with the SENCo.

Samples of his/her work will be monitored and evaluated to track progress.  

He/she will be referred to Cumbria Children’s Services for an Early Help Assessment

How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?

Parents/carers are welcome and encouraged to participate in all events and activities organised by the school e.g. trips, off site visits. There is an active PTA which organises social events for both pupils and parents. We organise many and varied activities for families and friends throughout the school year and  encourage all parents to attend all our functions. Parents' evenings are organised a minimum of twice a year.

Last updated: 26/01/2022
Back to top