Safe Families for Children in Cumbria
Safe Families for Children (Safe Families) works hand-in-hand with children's services to link families in need with local volunteers who can offer them help and support.
When a crisis strikes a family with children, its effects can be devastating. Many of us would turn to relatives and friends for support but some families can be really isolated with nobody there to
Stabilising families before they reach a breaking point is key to reducing the number of children who need to go into care. An award-winning charity, Safe Families has benefited over 6000 children since it was launched in the UK in 2013.
3 Ways We Help
Volunteers who offer direct practical family support. Giving simple advice and support to parents and children when they need it most, enabling parents to feel less isolated.
Volunteers who look after children for a night or 2, up to a couple of weeks, to allow a regular break or space if they are dealing with other issues or challenges.
Volunteers who are able to provide useful items such as a cot or children's clothing, or have helpful skills such as cooking or gardening.
- Support parents, carers or children individually or as the entire family
- Parents/Carers in control — families not obligated to engage
- Support may cover overnight hosting, daytime respite, mentoring, befriending
- Children aged 12 and under (will also support older siblings)
- The families have been risk assessed to ensure support from volunteers is appropriate
- Can respond to same-day emergency hosting requests
- Support plans are established with each family and referrer informed of progress
- Support generally lasts 3 to 6 months but may be extended, if appropriate
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- Stacey Thame & Carol Gate
- Contact Position
- 0333 414 1488
- firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Leaflets are available for families
- Link will be provided to submit details of request
- Family will be visited and support plan developed
- Volunteer identified and introduced to family