Skip to main content

Health and Wellbeing Team - North Cumbria (Carlisle & Eden)

What is the role of a Health and Wellbeing Officer?

The main aim of a Health and Wellbeing Officer's role is to engage with young people under the age of 18 who show substance misuse needs, with a particular emphasis on alcohol, cannabis and New Psychoactive Substances (NPS).

What does a Health and Wellbeing Officer do?

Once a referral is received an officer will complete an assessment of the young person's alcohol/substance use/misuse, usually within the family home, with the aim to deliver appropriate education, harm reduction advice, relating to alcohol/substance misuse and related risk taking behaviour.

What if more help is required?

The health and Wellbeing team are part of a multi-agency approach therefore if ti si identified that further work is required, an Early Help Assessment will be carried out to ensure the young person received the correct support and achieves the best outcome.

How to refer?

We are a first point of contact for young people in crisis in relation to substance misuse.  We mainly receive referrals from Health and Police; however referrals can be made by any statutory or voluntary agency.  But if you are unsure on the suitability then please call for a discussion.

Self Refer

If you're worried about your own or one of your mates' drug or alcohol use, we can help.  We could support you on a one-to-one voluntary basis and can listen to your worries.  you don't have to have an addiction but something might have happened that's worried you while you were drinking or using drugs.  Contact your area worker for help.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Abi Reed
Contact Position
Health and Wellbeing Officer
0782 534 0514
E-mail or


West Cumbria (Allerdale and Copeland)
Mobile: 0788 794 7621

South Cumbria (Barrow and South Lakes)
Mobile: 0790 006 0645

Where to go

Children and Young People's Services - People
Carlisle East Fire Station
Eastern Way

Other Details


Referral required

Local Offer

Local Offer Age Bands
Transitions to Adulthood(16+)
SEN Provision Type
Last updated: 28/02/2022
Back to top