As far as can be ascertained, the history of schooling in Skelton goes back as far as 1750. However, the first entry in the School Log Book is dated 4th August 1871, at which time the school was an endowed Church of England School. It was then situated in what is now called Prospect House, alongside the road to the Parish Church. The hall and infant room of the present building came into use in 1960. The existing Year 3/4 classroom was added to the existing infant/hall structure during the 1970s.
The school premises are light, roomy and pleasantly situated in the centre of the village. Internally, there are three teaching rooms. In addition, the main school building has an entrance hall, office, cloakrooms, toilets, kitchen, stores, a staff room and additional teaching area with patio doors opening out to the front of the school.
A further extension and other modifications were added in 2010 to provide new infant toilets and wash room facilities, storage facilities, a disabled toilet, a teaching area for small groups of children and an extended staff room. The school has a large playing field, a range of outdoor playing areas, a recently re-surfaced tennis court, sheltered seating areas, and is surrounded by a wide variety of trees. In addition, the recently refurbished wildlife garden behind the school provides a wonderful on-site resource.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Skelton School
- CA11 9SE
Children may have special educational needs either throughout or at any time during their school career. The Skelton School policy ensures that curriculum planning and assessment for children with special educational needs takes account of the type and extent of the difficulty experienced by the child.
- Contact Name
- Mrs Fiona Rudd (Head & SENCo)
- Contact Telephone
- 017684 84367
- Contact Email
- Local Offer Age Bands
- Primary (5-10 years)