A 3 Day Course - Developing Social Skills, Self-esteem & Friendship Skills
The importance of being socially skilled cannot be over-estimated. We all need these skills to communicate effectively to listen to others, to express ourselves, to be taken seriously and to make friends. We know that social competence contributes to quality of life and has been repeatedly demonstrated to be a critical variable in predicting success in future life. However, not everyone develops social competence naturally. Some people struggle with their social skills and require intervention. Alex Kelly's 3-day course is a practical and interactive workshop that will help you develop your confidence in the following 3 things:
• Where do I start? What should I teach first?
• What do I do? How do I teach social skills? Which approach works best?
• What about self-esteem & friendship skills? What do I need to consider?
A bit about Alex Kelly
Alex is a speech and language therapist with over 30 years' experience of working with people with social skills difficulties. She has written and published a number of best-selling resources to help develop social skills, self-esteem and friendship skills in children and adults. Her passion for this work started in the 1990s when she completed some research into social skills and found that if skills were taught in a hierarchical way, children were far more likely to succeed. Alex now runs her own business in the offering training and consultancy in social skills, speech therapy and occupational therapy, and a day service for adults with autism. In 2019 Speaking Space Ltd was accredited by the National Autistic Society (NAS) with advanced status — something no other SLT company has ever achieved. She currently employs 18 staff but spends most of her time lecturing around the world.
The 3-day workshop:
Day 1: knowing where to start:
- An introduction to social skills difficulties
- Assessing social skills & planning where to start
- The theory behind the hierarchy of skills
- Practical exercises
- Setting targets & measuring effectiveness
Day 2: self-esteem & friendship skills & how to teach social skills:
- An introduction to friendship skills & self-esteem & the importance of these to social skills
- Developing friendship skills and self-esteem
- Teaching social skills & the wider context: behaviour, environment, & motivation
- Creative arts: modelling, role play & puppets
Day 3: teaching social sl<ills
- Technology approaches: media & computer Apps
- 1:1 therapeutic approaches: problem solving, therapeutic stories & comic strips
- Setting up & running social skills groups
- Case studies & discussion
Please contact us for further information and booking details. Closing date for bookings is the 8th April.
Who to contact
Where to go
Moorclose Community Centre
- CA14 3SE
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- 18th to 20th May 2021 from 9.30am to 3.30pm
- Time of day
- Table of costs
Table of costs Amount Cost Type £175 for the 3 days